WHAT IS AN E-CIG AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
An e-cig (electronic cigarette) is a battery-powered portable vaporizer which gives a sensation similar to smoking when used. Instead of exhaling smoke, you are exhaling tiny droplets of water, commonly called ‘vapor’. It works by using a heated coil to atomize e-liquid (which is propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavoring and can have nicotine added).
WHAT IS PROPYLENE GLYCOL AND WHY IS IT IN MY E-LIQUID?
PG is an odorless, clear liquid which is the compound of choice for delivering atomized medication, such as asthma inhalers. It is used as the carrier for the flavoring in e-liquid because of its long safety record (in use since the 1950s and classed as a non-carcinogen) and efficacy against bacteria, fungi and viruses. The e-liquid we sell uses food-grade, FDA approved PG.
WHAT IS VEGETABLE GLYCERIN AND WHY IS IT IN MY E-LIQUID?
VG is made from distilling plant oils (such as olive, soybean, coconut) and it is widely used in foods, cosmetics, skincare and pharmaceuticals. VG is what produces the clouds of vapor when using e-cigs.
WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT THE PG/VG RATIO?
PG is all about the carrying the flavor and providing the throat hit. VG is all about the vapor clouds.
Most e-liquids use a 50/50 PG/VG blend (such as our ROYALE range), but other brands have varying ratios. The V-LITE range uses a 30/70 PG/VG blend with 20% additional flavor added to compensate for the lower ratio of PG, which carries the flavor. Both ratios work perfectly and deliver a solid throat hit and big clouds, it’s just a matter of preference. The exception is the Lucky Strike/Platinum flavor which has a 70/30 PG/VG ratio.
ARE THEY SAFE FOR EVERYONE?
It depends, as some people have sensitivities to PG. Symptoms of a PG sensitivity can include a scratchy throat, headaches, eczema, and digestive issues. In extreme cases, PG can even cause numbness in the face and tongue as well as swelling and redness in these areas. If you get sore eyes when around a smoke/fog machine, it is probably a sign that you have a PG sensitivity, in which case you should go for a low PG/high VG ratio.
HOW ARE COSMIC’S E-LIQUIDS MADE?
Royale e-liquids are made in the USA, with USP grade PG and VG used in an FDA approved facility. V-Lite e-liquids are made in the EU and PRC with USP grade PG and VG, in laboratory grade production facilities which meet SKYTE, TUV, SGS, ROHS, and ISO global quality standards.
THE DO’S AND DON’TS OF VAPING ETIQUETTE
Use your e-cig respectfully and help the vaping community stay in the general population’s good graces. Vaping is new and legislation is around the corner, so being the pioneer that you are, don’t give anyone an excuse to hate on it!
- Ask before you vape around non-vapers. WHY? Not everyone enjoys breathing second-hand vapor and besides, it will spark a good conversation.
- Explain how it works to people who ask about it. WHY? Helping others understand what vaping is about goes a long way to dispelling common misconceptions. Educate as you go! Keep it short and sweet, and stay off the soapbox.
- Vape discreetly when in public. WHY? You will draw unwanted attention to yourself and won’t necessarily be in a position to explain what it is you are doing. Stealth vape instead by inhaling air after you draw on the e-cig to diminish the vapor you exhale.
- Carry a spare e-cig when you are out and about. WHY? If a smoker asks to try one, you can offer them your spare, and sanitize it later. Sharing is caring, but not when it comes to germs.
- Vape where smoking isn’t allowed. WHY? Firstly, it is pretty obnoxious behavior and will encourage non-users to vilify vaping.
- Vape around children. WHY? Vaping is a cigarette alternative, and by vaping around children you are potentially glamorizing the action of exhaling clouds of vapor. No-one should start vaping if they have never smoked. Also, e-liquid should never be stored where children can access it.
- Share your e-cig with others. WHY? This spreads germs and viruses.
- Offer an e-cig to a non-smoker. WHY? Vaping is for ex-smokers, not people who were smart enough not to start smoking in the first place.
I’M GETTING A HARSH TASTE FROM MY E-CIG, WTF?
- Check your e-liquid. If there is very little in the clearomizer, the harsh taste is caused by the wick burning because there isn’t enough e-liquid to saturate it. Refill and try again.
- If you have e-liquid in the clearomizer, a harsh taste is usually a sign that your coil needs changing.
- If you get a harsh taste immediately after changing the coil, this is because the e-liquid hasn’t saturated the wick yet, so the wick is burning. Give it a couple of minutes to saturate and try again.